Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Contagious

con·ta·gious
adj.
1. Of or relating to contagion.
2. Transmissible by direct or indirect contact; communicable: a contagious disease.
3. Capable of transmitting disease; carrying a disease: stayed at home until he was no longer contagious
.
4. Spreading or tending to spread from one to another; infectious: a contagious smile.

If you are anything like me, you see this word and cringe. I think about taking my tiny tot to his MDO and what germs he will bring home for the rest of us to share in the afternoon. Dr, is he contagious. Yep. Watch out and be super cautious over the next couple of days. Yuck. I think I loathe the word itself.


Starting this blog was birthed from an infection. A contagious one. Let me explain, please. My dear and sweet mother-in-law has a love for the Lord. She has been working on this Just Give Me Jesus Revival for quite some time. I never really asked her about it, I just knew it took up all of her time. All of MY free-babysitting time. She asked me the other day, months after she had begun working on the revival, to pray about being a part of it in XYZ ways. Not really understanding the whole premise, I called her. Before she even answered my mind said this, "do you know I have a 6 week old baby at my house, sleeping in the other room?" "Oh, and there is this other kid here too, he is currently rebounding a basketball off of her head in his diaper." Translation: (and I know you mommies out there feel me on this) "PLEASE do not ask me to start any projects...I don't have time."
Well, she explained to me the whole idea of this Revival in Waco. She stroked my ego a little...told me I was good at certain things. But honestly, it didn't matter. It was simply the idea that I want women's lives to be changed by my Jesus. Plainly put. I wanted my own life to be changed by Him too. I know I love Him. I know the rules and the game. But I need Him now more than ever. I know my friends need Him. I know the un-churched and un-loved need Him. I know my own life is consumed with other things. I used to be so on fire for this kind of stuff. For salvations. My mind is racing. The excitement takes over me. Infected. By Jesus. He is contagious.
So, at the very least, I offer my blogging services. Something I do when I should be doing other things. Still, I understand blogs. I love to write. I am a super duper amateur at it. But I can offer it as a mission. Are you still reading? I hope this blog gets you young women, young mothers excited. Maybe you will decide to serve in the revival in some capacity. Maybe you just need to go. Maybe you need to catch something like this. I don't know. But I invite you to read, to come, to serve. To bless and be blessed. Sisters, I know we are weary. I know the day to day grind is tough. Raising our children to love the Lord and still be potty-trained at the same time. To love on a husband when you would rather take a shower. To cook a semi-homeade meal only to find your picky eater would rather eat cereal. It is wear and tear. Or worse. Working through the wounds of a fresh divorce. A disabled child. A bruised past you can't shake. Where is our Savior?I know each of you desire the deep friendship that I do. I know I look in all the wrong places. I want and desire a deeper level of relationship with my Father.
Maybe today you can ponder someone you want to infect. How are you contagious? ARE you contagious? If you are...go breathe on your neighbor today. If you aren't...go get your Bible.

Luke 1:58
"Her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown her great mercy, and they shared her joy."

3 comments:

Sally said...

Loved this post, you are such a great writer, and your MIL is right - this is a perfect way for you to help with this event for Waco! i'm on board and will be praying about what that means for me, and others i can get involved. you go girl!!! love ya!

Mollie said...

Niki I would love to talk with you about the possibility of being involved musically. Maybe we could meet up or talk over the phone??? Email me!!! Blessings!

Unknown said...

AWESOME blog, Nicki! Thanks so much for doing this and getting the word out about Just Give Me Jesus to everyone. My prayer is that those who read this will call the office or contact one of us to see where they can serve...there are sooooo many opportunities to be a part of what God is doing ...jobs with a lot of responsibility and those that don't require much time at all!
Your blog has reminded me to have a "heart check"...am I walking a life that is contagious? Who am I getting close to so that they might become infected with Jesus?
May our heart cry be "JUST GIVE ME JESUS!"
love you, love you,
Pam